Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Living the Dream

When I was a kid I dreamed of riding a steel horse.  I guess I was about 10.  Even got my folks to buy an orange a black huffy bicycle with a what I know realize was an attempt at a café racer seat.  I never could understand why that thing was so square and long but man I wish I had that bike for my kids now.  It even had a faux plastic gas tank and racing number.  My favorite t-shirt had a gorilla riding a motorcycle.  Come to think of it, I recall drawing pictures (not very accurate ones) of motorcycles and had a couple of those toys that you pull back on and watch them go.

In 6th grade there was dirt bike Barret.  Dirt bike buddy once wrecked the thing and said, "just tell my dad you did it.  He won't get mad at you but he'll kill me".  Fair enough, took one for the team and sure enough the dad was cool.

Then there was mini-bike Mike.  Sometimes known as Mikey-tyow for forgotten reasons.  Probably had something to do with partying.  This was high school, riding that little bike (2-up mind you- not cool but who cared) with a back pack, a couple quarts and whatever else.  Head out to the woods, rag that bike out and generally be little bad asses.  At least we thought so.

Got older and started saving a few bucks here and there.  Finally had enough for my own dirt bike.  Searched through craigslist.  Days turned to weeks and weeks to months.  Finally, low and behold - a real motorcycle.  He had the money, he had the connection and the bike was there for the taking.  A childhood dream had come true. 

I still remember Pat, the 71 year old mechanic I bought that bike from.  What a cool old guy.  Said he was giving it up due to bad knees but that he and the ol lady had gone on many rides over the years and might be getting a trike. 

I guess there actually is a point to this rambling trip through memory lane.  For many motorcyclists, it's a life long passion.  Its about friendships, experiences, nostalgia.  What you see on the road is just a small part of that timeline.  And people wonder why we are fanatics.  I hope you have a chance to ride today and if you do, thank God you were granted at least one dream come true.  You did it.  You got yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment